Round the Bay Relay and ULTRA
December 30, 2017
Distance: 36.8 miles around Choctawhatchee Bay
Cities on the route: Ft. Walton Beach, Destin, Niceville, Valparaiso and Shalimar
Starting Time: the Team Relay will have a staggered start, beginning at 6:30 AM; Ultra runners will leave at a starting times at 5:00, 5:30, 6:00 and 6:30 AM that will allow them to finish by 1:00 PM.
Starting Position: Teams will submit typical 10K times at registration. Those times will be used to handicap the start. Estimated finish time for all teams is 12:30 PM. A Speed-up Rule will be instituted at Relay Station #5 (Shalimar Elementary School). If your team’s runner is not at Relay Station #5 by 11:20 AM, your 6th runner MUST begin. As soon as your 5th runner finishes, all additional team members should head toward the finish line. This allows everyone to finish around 12:30 PM.
All team starting times will be published on this web-site December 26th. The link is supplied in the menu bar at the top of each page.
The Competitive Division (teams with fastest reported times) will start last. The first five teams in the division will be recognized at the post-race festivities.
Start and Finish Line: Fudpucker’s (restaurant) on the Island
1318 Miracle Strip Parkway, Ft. Walton Beach, Florida
Relay Stations: see Race Course link for specific relay station locations. Each team will have a race slap bracelet for runners to exchange. Each team should turn in their bracelet at the finish line. Ultra runners will receive a race bib.
Recovery Run: Sunday, December 31, 2017; It will be a “5K” that starts and finishes at the Ramada Plaza Beach Resort (host hotel)
Team Membership: typical team is 6 runners – one for each relay leg; teams of 2-to-10 runners are permitted, dividing the relay segments at their discretion. All runners must pay the entry fee and all will receive the race SWAG.
Team Names, Attire, and Vehicle: teams are encouraged to have a great team name (Be appropriate) team race attire (be safe) and decorate their race vehicle. Please keep team names appropriate and family friendly. The top five in all three categories (name, attire, vehicle) will be recognized at post-race. This is a major part in the enjoyment of this race.
Registration Fees (per person):
NW Florida Track Club members: $25 (includes race shirt and post-race festivities)
Non-members: $30 (includes race shirt and post-race festivities)
Non-running support team members: $20 (includes race shirt and post-race festivities)
ULTRA- NWFTC and active duty military $45, Ultra -all others- $50 (Ultra high visible long sleeve shirt, race mug, poster, separate finish line buffet and race support- three Aid station fully stocked. Late fee for both races after December 10, 2017: adds $10 per person
Post-race festivities only: $10 (no race shirt)
5K Recovery Run (Sunday): $5, including special “recovery” beverage
Race Swag: neon race shirt, team race poster, race glass or mug, a post-race party and special beach front hotel rates.
Three Main Race Rules:
1) Be safe!
2) Have fun
3) BE SAFE!
- Runners will run on the inside of all the highways with one exception: when we have to cross Highway 20 (Niceville) as part of the fourth leg
- There will be a sidewalk or bike lane for about 95% of the race.
- None of the roads will be closed for this event and no police supervision.We will have some safety patrol help at several of the major intersections.
- Make sure cars turning onto the highway see you before you cross their path. Most drivers will only look to their left before turning right.
- You are on your own for this race so make sure safety is first. Weather could be a factor and we will try to prepare for it. We will run rain or shine. (Fog may be different though!!)
- A final safety update will be given as the leadoff runners’ line up for their starting times. Groups of teams will start at 5-minute intervals.
- All runners must sign the race disclaimer form to be able to participate.
- Be careful as you drive into the relay exchange zones.
- Teams provide own reflector vest, clothing or belts.
- Ear buds, headphones and music are discouraged due to safety reason.
- Make sure you have a designated driver if team members are partaking in adult beverages. No drinking and driving!!
- May everyone have a safe and joyful trip around the bay!!
- THERE ARE NO PRIZES PRESENTED BY THE RACE. Please don’t let “racing” lead to an unsafe race.
Parking: only race vehicles will be allowed in the Fudpucker’s parking lot. All others vehicles should be parked across the street where there are plenty available parking spaces. Those staying at the Ramada will have ample place to park and can walk over to the start and finish line activities.
Runner Support: Each team provides their own vehicle and support. Ultra runners will have three race supplied aid stations for their support.
Route Conditions: The roads will be open to traffic, so runners must abide by safe running practices. Sidewalks and bike lanes are available for much of the course. No bikes are allowed to pace runners.
Marathon Training Runners: the Round the Bay Relay is a great tune-up for runners training for a marathon or half-marathon during the first two months of 2018. Runners may continue to run after their designated segments in order to achieve their marathon training miles.
- A post-race party with food and music will be held after the relay finish at the Fudpucker’s on the Island.
- Music will be provide by a DJ.
- No outside beverages may be brought into Fudpucker’s. Complimentary race beverages will be provided until they run out. Participants must be legal age for adult beverages.
- Fud’s will provide food for the race participants (see registration requirements above.)