2017 RACE UPDATE
RACE LEG #1: FUD (On the Island) TO FUD (Destin) (8.8 MILES)
HINTS: (Exchange zone in Fudpucker’s parking lot)
- Stay on Highway 98 the entire leg
- Do not get vehicles off in the sand areas beside the road.
- Mile 3.9- Destin Bridge- use sidewalks after crossing bridge
- CAUTION: runners will use sidewalks through Destin, be careful crossing intersections.
- Mile 4.7- McGuire’s parking lot
- Mile 7.8- The Track Amusement Park-use bike lanes after The Track
- Mile 8.8- turn left into Fudpucker’s (Locals should use the red light before Fuds and come in the back side off of Commons Drive or the red light just past Fud’s and enter on the side. This will help with congestion entering Fud’s. Please have team members stand back away from the road during relay exchange.
- Vehicles make sure you pull completely into all parking lots to eliminate congestion at exchange zones. Always look for runners and be careful when exiting parking lots.
RACE LEG #2: Destin Fudpucker’s to Hurricane Grill & Wings (NEW STOP) (7.6 miles)
RACE HINTS: (Exchange zone in Hurricane’s parking lot)
- Follow Highway 98 to TGIF (left Paraiso Blvd)
- Paraiso Blvd becomes Commons Drive East-goes through parking lot.
- (If you are not sure about cutting through parking lot area, continue on 98 until you turn left at the intersection with 293. Will add only 200 yards.
- Turn left on sidewalk beside Danny Wuerffel Way at Bonefish Grill (293)
- Mile 1.6- Panera Bread across Danny Wuerffel Way
- CAUTION: Narrow bridge entry creates pinch point. Use extreme caution.
- Bridge Toll Booth- vehicles must pay $3.00 toll, runners do not.
- Vehicles: after passing through Toll Booth, go .1 miles take exit to the right, turn left at stop sign (.4 after toll booth) drive under the overpass to White Point Road (0.9 from toll booth). Turn left on White Point Road and go to cul-de-sac for a water stop.
- Runners: after crossing bridge, take sidewalk that turns left to White Point Road. Your team should meet you there for water.
- Run on sidewalk up White Point Rd. Vehicles drive up White Point Road.
- Mile 7.5- Right turn into Hurricane’s which is located at the intersection of White Point Road and Highway 20. Exchange zone in parking lot and we no longer have to cross White Point road twice. Rest rooms and the bar will be open.
- AID STATION #1 for Ultra runners (mile 16.4 )
RACE LEG #3 HURRICANE”S GRILL TO BAYOU PLAZA (6.3 miles)
RACE HINTS: (Exchange zone on sidewalk)
- Turn left (west) and use sidewalk beside Highway 20.
- CAUTION: No sidewalk from Lancaster Road to Rocky Bayou Bridge (miles 2.4-2.8); must use bike lane.
- Pick up sidewalk after bridge for the rest of the leg.
- Mile 4.9- Major intersection crossing Palm Ave.
- CAUTION: The parking area will be congested with vehicles and runners entering and leaving the parking lot. Please use stop light to enter and please be careful.
- This is the location of Tropical Smoothie, one of our sponsors. There will be a race special for relay runners and a free smoothie for Ultra runners.
- AID STATION #2 for Ultra runners- (mile 22.7)
RELAY LEG # 4: BAYOU PLAZA TO NW FLORIDA REGIONAL AIRPORT (3.3 miles)
CARGO DELIVERY PARKING AREA
RACE HINTS: (Exchange zone is the north parking of the airport)
- Use red light to cross Highway 20. Use sidewalk on left side of road running up the hill on 85 South to FWB.
- CAUTION: Mile 1.4, sidewalk runs out before bike lane begins.
- Pickup bike lane at the Valparaiso Triangle-must cross exit road
- DO NOT GO INTO MAIN AIRPORT ENTRANCE AREA (RUNNERS or VEHICLES) AT ANY TIME
- After runners make the exchange, the new runner will continue south on the service road.
- As RUNNERS near the airport going south on 85, they will continue to run on the left side of the road and stay left on airport service road. The exchange zone is at the entrance of the Cargo Delivery (north parking lot) area which will be on the runner’s left. DO NOT RUN ON THE OVERPASS!!
- RACE SUPPORT VEHICLES must use off ramp to the right before the overpass. (signs to airport) After exiting on right side, turn left at the stop sign. After turning left, follow CARGO DELIVERY signs, which will be a quick left (20 yards) and a right (50 yards). Turn into Cargo Delivery (right before EXPLORE FLORIDA sign) area to park. Exchange zone is located at entrance to Cargo Delivery area.
- To exit Cargo Delivery area, follow the race signs out of parking lot area. Once you get back to the stop sign at the service road, go straight across service road and go under the overpass. At stop sign, turn left going south. You are now on the service road. Go 100 yards, then turn left merging back on highway 85 South.
RELAY LEG #5: AIRPORT TO SHALIMAR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (4.6 MILES)
RACE HINTS: (Exchange zone at entrance to school)
- CAUTION: Mile 1.1- running south, must cross north bound exit ramp to Crestview
- Mile 3.0- After Armament Museum, run left side of overpass bridge
- Mile 4.6- turn left into Shalimar Elementary School.
- Vehicles: park in school drop-off lanes.
- AID STATION #3 for Ultra runners will be located just past Shalimar ES. (Mile 31.8)
RELAY LEG # 6: SHALIMAR ELEM. TO FUDPUCKER’S ON THE ISLAND (5.8 MILES)
RACE HINTS: NEED EXPERIENCED RUNNER!!!
- Follow school road right onto 12th Ave. Turn left at red light on 85 South.
- CAUTION: Mile 1 has many businesses entrances.
- CAUTION: Mile 1.1- Shalimar Bridge- must dodge fisherman and gear on bridge. There is a bike lane on inside of bridge, but very narrow.
- Mile 2.4- can use parallel service road to bridge
- Mile 2.8- Cinco Bayou Bridge
- Mile 3.5- Uptown Station-good parking area for water stop. High traffic area.
- CAUTION: Mile 4.2- turn left on Perry Ave. Must cross two oncoming streets
- Turn left on 98, cross Brooks Bridge, major intersection and then finish line at Fudpucker’s on the left at mile 5.8.